Hey Guys and Gals!
So as many of you know I can not stand the word diet or what it represents. If you have become used to using the word…forget it. Why? Because it is a temporary fix to a more permanent issue. While what you eat can change overnight, your bodies response is not always immediate. Low Carb, Starvation, HCG, whatever else they are called stop doing that stuff! What you should focus on are more effective strategies to promote better self image, eating habits and overall mental clarity. From now on, use the term eating strategy to define your change in food intake. This is a more accurate description of what you are doing. You are training yourself and body at the same time to provide more nutrition (and hopefully less processed foods) and whole foods into your daily routine. I have outlined about 8 ideas and concepts that will give you a solid foundation to start with. Additionally, I have also provided some tips that may help ease the transition.
1. Commit to consuming 4 – 6 small meals and snacks everyday.
2. To succeed, you must plan ahead by packing your foods the night before. Thus, you should always have fresh and low-fat foods around.
3. Keep it simple. Don’t get too caught up on the specifics or your diet. Start by simply just counting calories.
4. Eat your foods slower.
5. Make healthier food selections like fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, and beans, low-fat or nonfat dairy products, low fat meats, fish and skinless poultry.
6. Avoid foods that are high in fat and calories.
7. Avoid foods that are high in sugars such as pastries, candy bars, pies and candy. (If I could give up Twizzlers you can do it!)
8. Use a variety of fruits and vegetables in your nutrition plan. Start by trying to eat 5 total vegetable and fruit servings every single day.
* let go of old patterns and habits that do not work
* gauge your progress by the healthful habits you are adopting rather than by the numbers on the scale
* identify the emotions and stressors that cause negative behaviors such as eating when you are not hungry
* stop the “should do’s” and do what is right for you
* think positive thoughts about yourself like “I can,” “I am,” “I will”
* make healthful food choices, eat lots of vegetables and grains and
* make exercise part of your life, not just a way to lose weight
This is just to get you started with some ideas. If you would like some suggestions in planning and even in some cases substitutions for snacks and meals, email me at:
Jeremy@Jeremysfitclub.us and I’ll be glad to help you!