What You Should Know About Low-Carbohydrate Diets
Good Evening! So I have finally made my way to giving you part two of the Truth About Carbohydrates posts. Sorry for the delay but I hope that the information will more than make up for the delay.
One of the first things that I would like to tell you is that following an extremely low-carbohydrate diet is disastrous, dangerous and above all very boring! Let me say this if it has not been said before…Carbohydrates are not the enemy! Including the appropriate amounts and types of carbohydrate-rich foods in your diet is essential for long-term health and weight loss maintenance.
When the body realizes that there is a severe deficit of carbohydrate there are many immediate reactions:
- With no glucose available for energy, the body starts using protein from food for energy. Therefore this protein is no longer available for more important functions, such as making new cells, tissues, enzymes, hormones, and antibodies and the regulation of fluid balance.
- When Carbohydrates are lacking, the body can not burn fat in the correct way. Normally carbs combine with fat fragments to be used as energy. When Carbs are not available, there is an incomplete breakdown of fat that produces a by-product called ketones. Ketones accumulate in the blood and in the urine causing ketosis, which is an abnormal state. Ketosis does cause a decrease in appetite because it’s one of the body’s protection mechanism. It’s an advantage to someone in a famine to lack an appetite because the search for food would be a waste of time and additional energy
- Due to the lack of energy and the accumulation of ketones, low-carb diets are often accompanied by nausea, headache, dizziness, fatigue, bad breath and dehydration
- Because of dehydration and lack of fiber, constipation can result
- Exercise and Fitness performance is reduced on a low-carb diet. Do not be surprised if your energy level is so low that you cannot make it through your normal workout routine
I hope you enjoyed and learned something here. Tomorrow I will provide you a posts to long term effects of Low Carbohydrate diets. Til then, have a great evening and I will post again tomorrow.
Have a Great Evening!