Championship Football Sunday Dishes
Good Morning! I have been thinking to myself about watching the New York Jets win a superbowl and the more I think about that, I also think of what I could be snacking or eating. With the AFC and NFC Championship games this Sunday, I wanted to give you a couple of ideas of a solid nutritional yet very hearty dish selection that you could try.
Due to chicken wings being a popular favorite with finger food and football I decided to give you an alternative to this thought process. The following are two recipes that you could try…one for each conference. If you try them, leave me a message and let me know what you think. Alright, first up the AFC Championship Recipe.
AFC Championship – Pittisburg Steelers vs. New York Jets
Seasoned Chicken and Hot-Pepper Sandwiches
Note: To save time, purchase a rotisserie chicken from the deli counter or use good-quality sliced fresh turkey breast and make this entire dish in under 15 minutes. You can also buy a whole smoked turkey that has already been fully cooked. Allow it to warm just a bit before slicing from the breast.
* 2 (about 1 pound) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 3 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
* 1/3 cup(s) olive oil
* 3 teaspoon(s) rosemary, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon(s) salt
* 1 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground pepper
* 1/2 cup(s) mayonnaise
* 3 ounce(s) hot capocollo or salami, thinly sliced
* 1 cup(s) pickled hot pepper, thinly sliced
* 6 ounce(s) fontina cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
* 4 (10-inch) baguettes
1. Roast the chicken:
Place the chicken, lemon juice, olive oil, 2 teaspoons rosemary, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours. Heat oven to 400°F. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and roast until cooked through — about 25 minutes. Thinly slice the chicken breasts; set aside.
2. Make the sandwiches: Split each of the baguettes horizontally using a serrated knife. Stir the mayonnaise and remaining rosemary together and spread on each slice. Layer the capocollo, peppers, chicken, and fontina on half of the sliced baguettes. Top each sandwich with the remaining slices, cut in half, and serve.
( Serving size = 1 sandwich)
Total Fat 30g
Saturated Fat 0
Total Carbohydrate 8g
Dietary Fiber 1g
NFC Championship – Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears
Stretching this recipe with roasted peppers, cherry or grape tomatoes, or diced jicama, mango or papaya would lighten it even more. This dip deserves the best homemade, oven-baked tortilla chips: Cut stacked corn tortillas into wedges, spray or brush them lightly with oil, then bake at 375 degrees F until curled and crisp.
* 1 large poblano chile
* 4 medium tomatillos, husked
* 1 small onion, minced
* 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup(s) chopped cilantro, plus 1 tablespoon leaves for garnish
* 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lime juice
* 3 Hass avocados, diced
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* Baked tortilla chips, for serving
1. Preheat the broiler. Put the poblano on a baking sheet and broil as close to the heat source as possible, turning once, until charred all over, about 4 minutes. Transfer the poblano to a small bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes. Rub the skin off of the chile with a paper towel and discard the stem and seeds. Cut the poblano into 1/4-inch dice. Transfer all but 1 tablespoon to a medium bowl.
2. In a metal baking pan, broil the tomatillos, turning once, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the tomatillos to a food processor and puree.
3. Add the tomatillo puree to the diced poblano along with the onion, garlic, chopped cilantro, lime juice and half of the avocado; mash well with a fork. Add the remaining avocado and mash lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the guacamole to a serving bowl and top with the reserved 1 tablespoon of diced poblano and the cilantro leaves. Serve right away with baked tortilla chips.
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 2.3g
Total Carbohydrate 11g
Dietary Fiber 5.5g
This dish does not contain any cholesterol, protein, sodium or sugar.
Let me know what you think!
Talk to you later! Have a Great Day!